Delete Windows.old
Megabyte
2012-11-03 16:59:41 UTC
Can someone tell me how I can delete Windows.old. I upgraded to W8 and
don't plan on reverting to W7 so I would like to recover the disk space
being used by Windows.old.

When I try to delete it I get a message saying you will need
Administrator rights to delete this file and I click okay but then I get
a message You require permission from PC Name\User Account to make
changes to this folder. I have tried the take ownership utility on the
folder but still the same result.

Anyone have any ideas?
LocalHero
2012-11-03 17:41:06 UTC
Post by Megabyte
Can someone tell me how I can delete Windows.old. I upgraded to W8
and don't plan on reverting to W7 so I would like to recover the disk
space being used by Windows.old.
When I try to delete it I get a message saying you will need
Administrator rights to delete this file and I click okay but then I
get a message You require permission from PC Name\User Account to
make changes to this folder. I have tried the take ownership utility
on the folder but still the same result.
Anyone have any ideas?
Hi Gigabyte - just Google on "deleting windows old" and you can take
your pick of guides.

Megabyte
2012-11-03 17:50:08 UTC
Post by LocalHero
Post by Megabyte
Can someone tell me how I can delete Windows.old. I upgraded to W8
and don't plan on reverting to W7 so I would like to recover the disk
space being used by Windows.old.
When I try to delete it I get a message saying you will need
Administrator rights to delete this file and I click okay but then I
get a message You require permission from PC Name\User Account to
make changes to this folder. I have tried the take ownership utility
on the folder but still the same result.
Anyone have any ideas?
Hi Gigabyte - just Google on "deleting windows old" and you can take
your pick of guides.
Thanks, should have thought to do that in the first place. File was
deleted using Disk Cleanup easily.
LocalHero
2012-11-03 17:56:55 UTC
Post by Megabyte
Post by LocalHero
Post by Megabyte
Can someone tell me how I can delete Windows.old. I upgraded to
W8 and don't plan on reverting to W7 so I would like to recover
the disk space being used by Windows.old.
When I try to delete it I get a message saying you will need
Administrator rights to delete this file and I click okay but
then I get a message You require permission from PC Name\User
Account to make changes to this folder. I have tried the take
ownership utility on the folder but still the same result.
Anyone have any ideas?
Hi Gigabyte - just Google on "deleting windows old" and you can take
your pick of guides.
Thanks, should have thought to do that in the first place. File was
deleted using Disk Cleanup easily.
Don't worry - you're not alone - loads of people , me included, forget
to Google first. But sometimes Usenet queries bring up more info/ideas
anyway

Dave "Crash" Dummy
2012-11-03 18:15:28 UTC
Post by LocalHero
Post by Megabyte
Post by LocalHero
Post by Megabyte
[...]
I always Google first so I won't have to display my ignorance until
absolutely necessary. :-)
--
Crash

"I'm told that Wagner's music is not as bad as it sounds."
~ Mark Twain ~

Database (slave) 0.002955 s
44.2813 kB
Benchmark Min Max Average Total
SELECT `lang` FROM `newsgroup` WHERE `newsgroup_url` = 'alt.comp.os.windows-8' (4)
0.000149 s
0.000227 s
0.000177 s
0.000708 s
2.2344 kB
2.3672 kB
2.2676 kB
9.0703 kB
SELECT `code`, `name` FROM `lang` WHERE `code` = 'en' (3)
0.000130 s
0.000153 s
0.000140 s
0.000419 s
2.4141 kB
2.4141 kB
2.4141 kB
7.2422 kB
SELECT * FROM `lang` WHERE `code` = 'en' (1)
0.000166 s
0.000166 s
0.000166 s
0.000166 s
12.5313 kB
12.5313 kB
12.5313 kB
12.5313 kB
SELECT * FROM `thread` WHERE `hash` = '8cKs2KMs' (1)
0.000468 s
0.000468 s
0.000468 s
0.000468 s
4.2500 kB
4.2500 kB
4.2500 kB
4.2500 kB
SELECT * FROM `newsgroup` WHERE `newsgroup_id` = '101637' (1)
0.000152 s
0.000152 s
0.000152 s
0.000152 s
5.8047 kB
5.8047 kB
5.8047 kB
5.8047 kB
SELECT * FROM `temp_simthread` WHERE `hash` = '8cKs2KMs' (1)
0.000681 s
0.000681 s
0.000681 s
0.000681 s
2.6953 kB
2.6953 kB
2.6953 kB
2.6953 kB
SELECT text_res, img_res, manual FROM porndetect WHERE hash = '8cKs2KMs' AND page = 1 (1)
0.000362 s
0.000362 s
0.000362 s
0.000362 s
2.6875 kB
2.6875 kB
2.6875 kB
2.6875 kB
Kohana 0.009362 s
48.7734 kB
Benchmark Min Max Average Total
find_file (73)
0.000006 s
0.000334 s
0.000128 s
0.009362 s
0.5234 kB
2.1563 kB
0.6681 kB
48.7734 kB
Requests 0.171440 s
446.5859 kB
Benchmark Min Max Average Total
"8cKs2KMs/delete-windows-old" (1)
0.173374 s
0.173374 s
0.173374 s
0.173374 s
474.5859 kB
474.5859 kB
474.5859 kB
474.5859 kB
Thread controller 0.001102 s
27.7109 kB
Benchmark Min Max Average Total
Init (1)
0.001102 s
0.001102 s
0.001102 s
0.001102 s
27.7109 kB
27.7109 kB
27.7109 kB
27.7109 kB
Thread parsing 0.152571 s
72.8828 kB
Benchmark Min Max Average Total
Other (2)
0.008610 s
0.068240 s
0.038425 s
0.076850 s
13.3125 kB
17.4922 kB
15.4023 kB
30.8047 kB
PHP Post Parsing (1)
0.002894 s
0.002894 s
0.002894 s
0.002894 s
26.8359 kB
26.8359 kB
26.8359 kB
26.8359 kB
C++ Post Parsing (1)
0.072539 s
0.072539 s
0.072539 s
0.072539 s
8.1406 kB
8.1406 kB
8.1406 kB
8.1406 kB
Three (1)
0.000288 s
0.000288 s
0.000288 s
0.000288 s
7.1016 kB
7.1016 kB
7.1016 kB
7.1016 kB
Load & uncompress 0.068164 s
11.0391 kB
Benchmark Min Max Average Total
load_thread (1)
0.068164 s
0.068164 s
0.068164 s
0.068164 s
11.0391 kB
11.0391 kB
11.0391 kB
11.0391 kB
Application Execution (507) 0.020666 s 33.418700 s 0.198131 s 0.192869 s
749.6172 kB 4,534.3750 kB 1,358.3741 kB 1,096.4844 kB