Delete Windows.old
Megabyte
2012-11-03 16:59:41 UTC
Can someone tell me how I can delete Windows.old. I upgraded to W8 and
don't plan on reverting to W7 so I would like to recover the disk space
being used by Windows.old.

When I try to delete it I get a message saying you will need
Administrator rights to delete this file and I click okay but then I get
a message You require permission from PC Name\User Account to make
changes to this folder. I have tried the take ownership utility on the
folder but still the same result.

Anyone have any ideas?
LocalHero
2012-11-03 17:41:06 UTC
Post by Megabyte
Can someone tell me how I can delete Windows.old. I upgraded to W8
and don't plan on reverting to W7 so I would like to recover the disk
space being used by Windows.old.
When I try to delete it I get a message saying you will need
Administrator rights to delete this file and I click okay but then I
get a message You require permission from PC Name\User Account to
make changes to this folder. I have tried the take ownership utility
on the folder but still the same result.
Anyone have any ideas?
Hi Gigabyte - just Google on "deleting windows old" and you can take
your pick of guides.

Megabyte
2012-11-03 17:50:08 UTC
Post by LocalHero
Post by Megabyte
Can someone tell me how I can delete Windows.old. I upgraded to W8
and don't plan on reverting to W7 so I would like to recover the disk
space being used by Windows.old.
When I try to delete it I get a message saying you will need
Administrator rights to delete this file and I click okay but then I
get a message You require permission from PC Name\User Account to
make changes to this folder. I have tried the take ownership utility
on the folder but still the same result.
Anyone have any ideas?
Hi Gigabyte - just Google on "deleting windows old" and you can take
your pick of guides.
Thanks, should have thought to do that in the first place. File was
deleted using Disk Cleanup easily.
LocalHero
2012-11-03 17:56:55 UTC
Post by Megabyte
Post by LocalHero
Post by Megabyte
Can someone tell me how I can delete Windows.old. I upgraded to
W8 and don't plan on reverting to W7 so I would like to recover
the disk space being used by Windows.old.
When I try to delete it I get a message saying you will need
Administrator rights to delete this file and I click okay but
then I get a message You require permission from PC Name\User
Account to make changes to this folder. I have tried the take
ownership utility on the folder but still the same result.
Anyone have any ideas?
Hi Gigabyte - just Google on "deleting windows old" and you can take
your pick of guides.
Thanks, should have thought to do that in the first place. File was
deleted using Disk Cleanup easily.
Don't worry - you're not alone - loads of people , me included, forget
to Google first. But sometimes Usenet queries bring up more info/ideas
anyway

Dave "Crash" Dummy
2012-11-03 18:15:28 UTC
Post by LocalHero
Post by Megabyte
Post by LocalHero
Post by Megabyte
[...]
I always Google first so I won't have to display my ignorance until
absolutely necessary. :-)
--
Crash

"I'm told that Wagner's music is not as bad as it sounds."
~ Mark Twain ~